The materials for cutting tools include carbon steels, alloy steels, mid, high speed steels, cast alloys, cemented carbides, ceramics or oxides and diamonds.
- The carbon forms carbide with iron, which makes responsive quenching and thus increases the hardness, mechanical strength and wear resistance. The carbon content of tool steels is between 0.6% and 1.4%.
- The chrome if added increases the wear resistance and toughness; the content is between 0.25% and 4.5%.
Watch this slide show
- The cobalt is generally used in high speed steels for hot hardness. In order to use the tools with cutting speeds and higher temperatures and still maintain the hardness and the cutting edge, the content is between 5% and 12%.
- The molybdenum is a strong base to form carbides and increasing the strength factor, wear resistance and hot hardness. It is always used in conjunction with other alloying elements. The content is up to 10%.
- The tungsten improves hot hardness and mechanical strength, the content is between 1.25% and 20%.
- The vanadium increases the hot hardness and abrasion resistance, the content of the carbon tool steel is 0.20% to 0.50%, in high speed steels is between 1% and 5%.
The efficiency of the tool and shredder cutter parts depends on the material of which they are made, and the edge shape. Tools alloy steel is not good at temperatures above 250 ° C, and as we know the edge of the tool is very important for the surface quality of the work piece. If you want to work with high speeds and temperatures, then it is recommended to use tools or alloy steel (SS) that maintain its toughness and edge.
Ceramic tools are useful for finishing work, to break very easily by its hardness, and are not very efficient at turning work at high speeds, its primary disadvantage is that you cannot hit upon the turning and will lose its edge.
It is recommended to use cutting tools having best tool steel properties that you can find from Ground-Flat-Stock.co.uk. It is a leading manufacturing company offers all kinds of cutting tools Baler Blades and shear blades at affordable prices.
Just call at +44 114 2335291 and place your order.